Chicago photo by: Amy Aiello
Chicago Music Guide is made up entirely of volunteers who have a passion for music, local music in particular.
Because we are volunteers and Chicago’s music scene is so vibrant and vast, we could still use more volunteer assistance in the following areas:
- Oversee the layout, appearance and content of feature articles;
- Generating ideas for features with writing staff;
- Managing writing staff and freelance feature writers;
- Editing and re-writing articles, some of which may be rejected or returned to the writer for revision;
- Oversee artwork, design and photography for the features section of the magazine;
- Organising meetings with owner, writers and artists to discuss ideas for artwork, layout and features;
- Selecting feature articles;
- Sending out briefs to writers which can include word count, deadline, and writing style;
- Proofreading all pages before publication;
- Raising the profile of the magazine;
- Networking with others at industry events, if applicable;
- Assisting other staff to meet their deadlines.
- Album Previews and Reviews
- Concert /Artist Previews and Reviews
- Artist Interviews
- Music Columns
- Feature Articles
If you are someone that loves frequenting the music scene in the Chicagoland area and wants to start getting their work published, this is a great opportunity!
Currently, this is a volunteer position/unpaid. However, your byline and work will be published on a reputable music site allowing you to quickly build a portfolio. This is a great opportunity for current students, or writers looking to get their work published.
Get published writing about what you love: great music in the Chicagoland area!
Please contact email@example.com to apply, and please include any writing samples you may have for our review.
- Banner ad design. we have many plans for this area and a lot of work involved to make it happen, but will benefit the entire local music community in turn;
- Featured content graphics;
- Graphic design for newsletters;
- Graphic design for merchandise and this could be a paid position;
- Music instructors to create short video tips in various areas of music;
- Only one tip per month and you can promote your own music instruction for more clients;
- Coordinate with editor to cover concerts and photograph bands for feature coverage;
- Post updates for company news, band updates, concert or new album news;
- Engage readers with thought provoking questions related to music;
- Monitor all available social media sites and respond accordingly to any in need of response
- Coordinate with editor with any promotions, giveaways, or special events;
- Reach out to local businesses and local non-profits to develop ways of working together to help build up our community;